Monday, August 30, 2010

Day 1

PARIS. I'm here! 
I arrived in CDG at 6 am France time (12am ish US) and it feels like I have been here a whole week. I carried about 120 lbs of baggage with me cause the RER(took me an hr to exchange money and buy a damn billet) was the cheapest and "easiest" (it really was easy...just not with all the luggage) way to arrive straight to the apartment I am staying at (which is by the way so much better than expected!)
People have  been telling me to be weary of strangers, hagglers, con artists etc and I put on my mean face as I braved the trek to my new home. To my surprise there were so many people willing to help me lift my bags onto the train and give me directions--even walking to me the door! I know not all people are like this, but it was nice!
My apartment is spacious according to Parisian standards. My room is HUGE. I have a huge window that opens out into the "bustling" neighborhood below,,,and I'm tempted to belt out a morning song one of these days.
The supermarket is literally ten steps away from my front door. They have everything and I have not seen so many cheeses, veggies, meats, breads so "affordable" I thought everything would be expensive$$$$ but apparently not! Just for fun (and to practice my euro money spending skills ALL BY MYSELF ^^) I bought some water and these cute vanilla yogurts that came in a cute glass bottle (for only .99euros) and passed the first test.
I walked around trying to find a place that had coffee without a lot of people in it (don't really need an audience when I embarrass myself) and I did. Forgetting that they don't really do drip coffee here (where can I find a place??) I got a espresso shot with some sugar when I ordered a cafe to go :) hehe. Rookie mistake #1
The neighborhood is so quiet except for the cars...a really chill place I guess!
My roommates threw me a dinner party and I think I had the best t-bone steak ever. We had this amazing Bordeaux wine from 2005 (brought over my roommate's friend) which supposedly was a really good year!
What I love about the french are that they are like to conserve and save! everyone brings their own bags to the market and the lights in the apt hallways are off (kinda scary) until you hit the switch which then it shuts off after a little bit!
pictures hopefully to come soon (my iphone is acting funny and forgot the cable for my camera at home). Tomorrow I'm off to do a little exploring/errands and on Weds I head into Paris (I live 20 mins outside) to take care of school stuff!

one more thing......

HOLY SHIT I'M REALLY IN PARIS!

No comments:

Post a Comment